Saturday 21 May 2011

I'm knackered! Part 2

5 Hours later we were back up again getting dressed to leave the Travelodge for 9am. Slightly tired but keen to get going we had breakfast at the Little Chef next door and found somewhere to stay for the 2 nights we were going to be in Dublin.

The route that had been selected was to carry on travelling along the A5 then taking joining the A55 to take us into Holyhead. This sounded like a perfect route taking in the Snowdonia National Park and passing Snowdon itself. From prior experience, I knew we were in for a visual treat.

So off we left at 9am on the dot in blue skies dotted sparsly with fluffy clouds. I couldn't have asked for a better start. Along we travelled down the A5 enjoying the winding, smooth roads (of the like we wish to see in England) taking in the views of the mountains which never fail to look anything but spectacular. As we approached Snowdonia, the skies began to grey and the rain started to fall lightly. Now the last time I was in this part of the world, I didn't pay attention to the warning signs and ignored the light rain in the hope that it would pass. It rained for 24 hours without a break and I was completely soaked! Not this time. Finding a suitable place to stop we opened the brand new rainsuits and geared up in all their bright red glory, much to Nikki's embarrasment!

We carried on and approaching Snowdon, the heavens opened and I was very glad to have my rainsuit on. Unfortunately, as the rain came down, so did my concentration and like any trip that I seem to plan, I took the wrong exit! Up we travelled along the A470 towards the A55 and although pleasant enough, did not compare to the A5. We reached Holyhead at 12pm in time for a bite to eat before heading for the ferry.

Finding the hotel wasn't too bad and riding in Dublin reminded me a lot of riding in London with the traffic being very heavy as we'd arrived slap bang in the middle of rush hour!

After some relaxing and a shower we found our meal for the evening then settled down for some much needed sleep having been travelling for 8 hours on the bike and 3 on the ferry in the last 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment